Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's surprisingly difficult to know what to post on a blog. I'm thinking about the commercial in which a high school girl posts a photo of herself on a traditional bulletin board. She changes her mind and rips it down, it reappears. She takes it down again and it pops back up, symbolizing what happens when we post electronically. Anyone can see anything we've ever posted for how long? Forever?

As a Christian I would like to be able to say that I am able to control my tongue. After all, this is a matter of much discussion in the Bible. Just one example is found in James 3: 9-10 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

How many other references about controlling our tongue are there in the Bible? How does this apply to today's technology? Do we both bless and curse on Face Book, Twitter, in blogs? Does our email bless? We can no more take back the things that we post on line than the words that pour out of our mouth. Control of the tongue is something that I'm still working on and probably always will.

As I began thinking about a relevant post for my first blog God reminded me that A Yooper in Paradise should always be a blessing and bring glory to God. After all, it is He who has allowed this Yooper to live in this place that He created.

I pray that God help me to control my words of every form and to filter the words that I hear. What is your prayer for the day?

No comments: